A young man cannot begin the steps to receive this honor until he is 16 and must complete it before his 21st birthday. We require the minimum age of 16 because we believe that by that time a young man will have been buffeted by the winds of temptation and the world enough to begin to reveal his level of commitment, not to Christian Service Brigade, but to Christ and His kingdom.
Here, in brief, are the requirements for completing the Herald of Christ internship:
Before He Can StartPrior to starting the herald of Christ internship a young man must also have completed the entire discipleship program of Explorer, Trailblazer, Guide, One star, Two star, and Three Star. By doing so he will have been equipped and demonstrated a life founded on biblical knowledge, disciplines, and leadership. So before he begins the HOC he will already have:
- Experienced the mentorship of numerous adult men
- Experienced the blessing of accountability from adult men and peers
- Explored the structure and application of the Bible
- Memorized and learned to apply boat loads of scripture
- Studied the word of God and interacted with his mentor regarding his study
- Studied the theology of prayer
- Practiced the disciplines of consistent prayer and bible reading on his own
- Developed a habit of service
- Considered his place in the church
- Practiced conflict resolution
- Studied and practiced evangelism
- Studied the principles and examples of biblical servant leadership
- Led a small group of other young men
- Practiced mentoring other young men
- Led meetings
- Helped plan and execute events
- Led the process of evaluating meetings and events for improvement
- Spoken in public
- Assessed his own leadership gifts and weaknesses
- Begun to consider his spiritual gifts
- Practiced listening skills, phone skills, and interview skills
After He StartsIf by the time the young man has completed the prerequisites, is at least 16, and is evidencing the fruit of Christ's work in his life the herald of Christ internship can begin. This process includes:
Bible Exploration of the following books:
- 1,2,3 John
- For each chapter he must identify two discoveries, highlights or truths and discuss this with his mentor.
- A short 250 word summary for each book is required as well
Bible DoctrineThe young man will meet with a member of his church staff for formal study in the doctrine of his church followed by a written report summarizing the doctrinal study.
Ministry Projectthe young man must choose and with the help of his Herald of Christ Committee organize a church related ministry project that will be challenging to him. This could be teaching a Sunday school class, serving as a junior counselor at camp, or organizing a missions trip for instance.
Community Projectthe young man must also engage in a leadership or service project in the community for at least three months. This too should be challenging to the young man and is designed to emphasize the important role that Christians are to play in the community in which God has placed them.
Bible memorizationIn addition to the scripture committed to memory as a prerequisite he must also memorize
- Romans 8:38-39
- 1 John 3:2
- Isaiah 40:28-31
- John 14:21
and two of the following:
- Psalm 37:1-9
- Isaiah 53:1-6
- Romans 5:1-8
- Ephesians 2:1-7
- 1 Timothy 3:1-7
Essay or ThemeAs the internship comes to an end he must write a 1000 word essay answering the following four questions:
- How did I come to know Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior?
- In what ways is Christ working in my life today?
- What are some of my future plans for serving Christ?
- What are some key Bible verses for me at this time in my life? Why?
If at the end of this process the young man continues to evidence the fruit of Christ in his life and has shown himself to be a Herald of Christ within the gifts and abilities God has granted to him, then he will become one of only about 800 young men to have received this honor in the 80 year history of our organization.
If You Are Interested
If you or a young man you know are interested in learning more about the Herald of Christ recognition please contact our main office:
Herald Of Christ Registry
Also, you can see a list of Herald's on the HOC registry. If you are a Herald Of Christ recipient and are not officially registered please take a moment to do so to stay connected withe the Brigade ministry.